Monday, December 26, 2005

Movie Review - King Kong

I took my wife and daughter to see King Kong last week at a second tier theater (First tier being stadium seating, etc...).

I don't know why, but I let the pre-release hype actually get me excited about this movie. I had that much confidence in the director Peter Jackson. The man knows how to tell a story.

Getting excited about a movie is normally a recipe for disaster - and almost assuredly will result in a letdown or a sort of "something's missing" feeling.

That was not the case in King Kong. It was exceptional from beginning to end. Jack Black does a dead-on young Orson Wells, our latest scream queen Naomi Watts is more memorable for her acting than her screaming, and Kong is, well, The Man.

This is a movie that packs a lot into its three hours. I'm impatient at best, but aside from sneaking out for more popcorn at what I hoped was exposition, I don't remember thinking the movie slow at any point. If anything, the action scenes were of exhausting length. OK by me.

The fall from the Empire State Building was beautifully done - almost silent, with you suspended with Kong and Ann Darrow (Watts) for a half-second of peace before the fall. One of the classic scenes from the first Kong, where he hits the side of the Empire State building while plummetting, is not duplicated here. While I would have liked to have seen it for the coolness factor, it was a wise choice on Jackson's part. You do not leave this movie thinking anything is missing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home